Harold Godwinson 'PAX' Penny Coin Pendant
Last of the Saxon kings, Harold lasted only 9 months on the throne.
Having no heirs, Edward the Confessor, King of England, had promised William I ("The Conqueror") the throne. However, Harold, a rival of William had illegitimately seized the crown upon Edward's death. William's revenge began at the Battle of Hastings in AD 1066, avenging his rightful place as king.
During the battle, Harold was fatally struck in the eye with an arrow. In disarray, his army fled to the forests. William pressed north and began to sack and burn opposing English towns and cities.
Obverse: HAROLD REX ANG ("Harold King of the Angles [English])" & crude bust of Harold
Reverse: LEOFSI ON LUNDE ("Leofsi [moneyer] in London") & "Pax" (peace) centered
- cold struck from solid .925 sterling silver [historical purity](see methodology)
- 19mm, ~1.3-1.5g per coin (like the originals, coins are fairly thin and light weight)
- Just like the originals, each is hand struck, so allow for slight irregularity and variance from the photos
- As with all of our coins, they are double sided and therefore reversible to flip and wear whichever side you choose.
- Pendant clasp is solid sterling silver (not cheap plated copper)
©2016 Awestruck Workshop
All rights reserved